Have you tried turning on your thermostat only to find that your air conditioner is not working? Before calling in a professional to address this issue, you may want to check that your thermostat is set to ‘cool’. You will also want to replace the batteries in your thermostat if needed. Have 5 minutes passed and your thermostat or AC is still not responding? Are you still unsure you need to call a professional?
Six common signs your air conditioner is not working and needs to be serviced by an HVAC professional.
- If you hear your air conditioner running but only feel little to no cool air coming out of your vents. If your air conditioner isn’t cooling properly, then it is malfunctioning and needs to be looked at by an HVAC professional.
- You notice your air conditioner is making a strange new noise that you have not heard it make before. By now you are most likely familiar with the noise your air conditioner makes and doesn’t make, so an unfamiliar sound means it is time for an HVAC professional.
- If you notice your air conditioner has a sudden awful smell. Unusual odors coming from your unit may indicate there is dirt, mold, or mildew inside your unit, which can circulate and contaminate air throughout your home. Unpleasant smells indicate a problem which needs to be addressed right away to avoid health issues for you and your family. It is definitely time to call an HVAC professional to repair your system.
- If your air conditioner is repeatedly turning on and off within a 5-minute span. This is known as ‘short cycling’. It is perfectly normal for your air conditioner to cycle on and off as it maintains a set temperature throughout your home. However, if you notice that it is ‘short cycling’ within a 5-minute span and the outside temperature is not particularly warmer than normal, it is possible that your air conditioning unit is malfunctioning. Short cycling puts extra stress on your air conditioner and can cause it to fail entirely.
- If you notice that water is leaking from your air conditioner. Water leaking is an indication of a problem. Your air conditioner has electrical components which must be protected from water damage, you will need to contact an HVAC professional immediately.
- If you notice ice or frost build up on your air conditioner unit, an immediate call to an HVAC professional is needed. Too much ice or frost in your air conditioner is a problem and can damage the motor entirely. Blocked or restricted airflow can lead to ice buildup, which can literally cause your unit to freeze.
It is time to call a professional if you notice any of the 6 signs mentioned.
The following reasons are common signs your air conditioner needs to be looked at by a licensed HVAC professional. If you detect any of the following signs, it is wise to call a licensed HVAC professional to have it serviced and repaired if needed. Waiting too long to have your air conditioner checked can cause more damage and add to the cost of repair. Maintaining your air conditioner by a licensed HVAC professional will maintain your system’s performance and reduce energy cost.